Today, I read on CNN that a battle flag from the Battle of Little Bighorn will be auctioned off. Whenever I see something like this, I always hope the artifact at hand will end up in a museum, so it can be shared by all. I can only imagine the historical treasures currently resting in private hands… I’m sure some people may not even know that they have them or that they are historically significant.
Hello! I'm an archivist in Dayton, Ohio. I write about history, archives, and/or library-related topics.
Please also check out the blog posts I write for Wright State University Special Collections & Archives, where I work.
Search Glancing Backwards
- My 2016 in Archives Land December 31, 2016
- The Inner Circle, an Archivist’s Tale May 28, 2016
- Come & Hear My Genealogical Quilt Story on Jan. 29 January 23, 2016
- Visiting Kindred Spirits in St. Anne’s Hill December 18, 2015
- We keep this love in a photograph November 28, 2015
- RT @WrightStArchive: Take a study break and stop by the first floor of @dunbarlibrary to see our new exhibit "From the Collections: French… 3 days ago
- RT @WrightStateNews: Sue Polanka, associate librarian at Wright State's @dunbarlibrary, receives distinguished service award from the Acade… 6 days ago
- RT @wrightstate: Plan ahead! Most Wright State offices, services, and @dunbarlibrary will be CLOSED: 🦃 Nov. 22 through 24 ❄️ Dec. 23 throug… 6 days ago
- RT @dunbarlibrary: Congrats Sue Polanka on @ALAOorg Jay Ladd award for distinguished service bit.ly/2mxzDWA 6 days ago
- RT @wrightstate: Finals are closer than you think but don't stress, because that means... SO IS FUZZ THERAPY! Cuddle puppies to relieve fin… 6 days ago
My Flickr Photos
- Thanksgiving, November 29, 1917 November 21, 2017 billstolz
- Thanksgiving Break Hours November 20, 2017 billstolz
- The Genealogy of Edward Cullin: Naturalization Records at SC&A November 17, 2017 billstolz
- SC&A Closed Friday, November 10, for Veterans Day November 8, 2017 billstolz
- New and Updated Collections Available for Research, October 2017 October 31, 2017 Lisa Rickey
In the Post Archives…
Tags63rd ohio volunteer infantry 1913 flood affleck family a little quaker love story archives archivists artifacts a tale of two howards bickham biographical sketches book reviews budgets cemeteries cholera cincinnati civil war collective bargaining dayton journal dayton metro library dayton newspapers dayton ohio digital libraries digital photos digital preservation digitization family history flickr forrer-peirce-wood forrer family found it in the archives genealogy hicksites historical photographs historic houses history history of books horton howard howard family Indiana University Italian-Americans kasich libraries local history lowe family manuscripts maps miami valley archives roundtable ms-006 ms-018 museums mvar newspapers ohio history ohio library council ohio newspapers ohio public employees ohio public employees unions ohio sb 5 ohio volunteer infantry opers patterson peirce family photographs preservation primary sources quaker marriage quakers samuel forrer sb 5 schaeffer thomas o. lowe thresher-mccann unions university libraries wright state university