Today, I read on CNN that a battle flag from the Battle of Little Bighorn will be auctioned off. Whenever I see something like this, I always hope the artifact at hand will end up in a museum, so it can be shared by all. I can only imagine the historical treasures currently resting in private hands… I’m sure some people may not even know that they have them or that they are historically significant.
Hello! I'm an archivist in Dayton, Ohio. I write about history, archives, and/or library-related topics.
Please also check out the blog posts I write for Wright State University Special Collections & Archives, where I work.
Search Glancing Backwards
- My 2016 in Archives Land December 31, 2016
- The Inner Circle, an Archivist’s Tale May 28, 2016
- Come & Hear My Genealogical Quilt Story on Jan. 29 January 23, 2016
- Visiting Kindred Spirits in St. Anne’s Hill December 18, 2015
- We keep this love in a photograph November 28, 2015
- That mess all boiled down to this #archives https://t.co/RosLl9NcQ9 17 hours ago
- Trying to get things done before a week out of the office #archivistproblems https://t.co/NCqHMDK5R8 17 hours ago
- Old friends indeed #archives #CivilWar @Daytonlibrary https://t.co/YayLpU2xB9 4 days ago
- Hanging out with old friends & really old friends at @Daytonlibrary #archives https://t.co/VeIy4MyoDY 4 days ago
- RT @washingtonpost: Your cat loves hopping into boxes. Here’s why. wapo.st/2owlAxe 4 days ago
My Flickr Photos
- Wright State’s 50th/National Poetry Month Mash-Up: “Remember When” April 28, 2017 chris
- Poems from the Past in Honor of National Poetry Month April 27, 2017 billstolz
- May 1, 2017: Phil Marshall will present “Flying Unarmed Medevac Helicopters in Vietnam.” April 25, 2017 billstolz
- Celebrating Wright State’s 50th: Honoring WSU’s first employee, Fred White April 24, 2017 chris
- Happy Preservation Week! April 24, 2017 Toni Vanden Bos
In the Post Archives…
Tags63rd ohio volunteer infantry 1913 flood affleck family a little quaker love story archives archivists artifacts a tale of two howards bickham biographical sketches book reviews budgets cemeteries cholera cincinnati civil war collective bargaining dayton journal dayton metro library dayton newspapers dayton ohio digital libraries digital photos digital preservation digitization family history flickr forrer-peirce-wood forrer family found it in the archives genealogy hicksites historical photographs historic houses history history of books horton howard howard family Indiana University Italian-Americans kasich libraries local history lowe family manuscripts maps miami valley archives roundtable ms-006 ms-018 museums mvar newspapers ohio history ohio library council ohio newspapers ohio public employees ohio public employees unions ohio sb 5 ohio volunteer infantry opers patterson peirce family photographs preservation primary sources quaker marriage quakers samuel forrer sb 5 schaeffer thomas o. lowe thresher-mccann unions university libraries wright state university